Fundamentals of Clinicians Becoming Healthcare Leaders
Sep 19, 2023 - Oct 22, 2023
Full course description
19 September to 22 October 2023
Online self-paced & learn with others
Early bird 25% discount | Valid until 8 August
Use promo code
FCBHL25OFF at check out
Designed specifically for you to develop and increase your knowledge, understanding and skills in management and leadership so you can effectively transition from being a clinician to a healthcare leader in the 21 century.
With a focus on preparing you for leadership roles, you will explore the differences between management and leadership, and discuss the key elements between technical work versus management versus leadership, and why these elements matter in leading others within your health setting. You will also gain insights from evidence-based research for leading in the context of the future of health and explore the leadership characteristics for transitioning from a clinician to a healthcare leader.
By the end of this course, you will be able to identify your strengths and weaknesses of the way you like to lead and discover how your current leadership style affects others as we discuss the impact of leadership on your organisational culture.
We will also look at your current and future skills for transitioning from a clinician to a healthcare leader, learning new behaviours while diminishing old, competing behaviours. 1:1 coaching is available in this short course.
What are the course learning outcomes?
By the end of this course, you will be able to:
- Describe the different leadership mindsets and styles required for leading in the context of the future of health.
- Discuss the different healthcare leadership roles for the 21st century, and where leadership is mostly required in your health setting and your organisation
- Identify your leadership style and discuss how your leadership style affects others and the work culture.
- Choose the right leadership style for the situation so you can lead effectively.
- Provide constructive feedback and facilitate courageous conversations for better team connection and collaboration across boundaries.
- Identify the leadership characteristics and your skills for transitioning from a clinician to a healthcare leader.
- Map and reflect on your existing leadership strengths and areas for development so that you can bring out the best in others: now and in the future.
What core topics are offered?
For lifelong learning, the following topics are offered in the course for developing and increasing your knowledge, understanding and skills in the fundamentals of clinicians becoming healthcare leaders.
- Leadership frameworks and fundamentals for leading others
- Management vs Leadership
- The future of health and its impact on leadership
- Leadership mindsets and styles for the 21st century
- Emotional intelligence, conflict resolution, and courageous conversations
- Leading a diverse and inclusive team
- My leadership styles and the current and future skills for transitioning from a clinician to a healthcare leader and to lead effectively
Who is this course suited to?
Medical and health professionals from public and private health organisations who are making the transition from individual contributor to leader and influencer of people, or who have been leading others within the last 12 months in a clinical context or health care setting.
Online Synchronous Sessions (via Zoom)
- Welcome session: 19 September 2023 | 12:00 pm - 1:00 pm AEST
- Week 1: 26 September 2023 | 12:00 pm - 2:00 pm AEST
- Week 2: 3 October 2023 | 12:00 pm - 2:00 pm AEDT
- Week 3: 10 October 2023 | 12:00 pm - 2:00 pm AEDT
- Week 4: 17 October 2023 | 12:00 pm - 2:00 pm AEDT
- Compulsory assessment for credentialing: 22 October 2023 AEDT
What are the course credentials?
This course is worth 3 UNSW Medicine & Health Executive Certificate in Health (FMECH) points, which provides formal recognition of professional development and reflects 30 hours of learning inclusive of pre-work, course participation, learning materials and support. Upon course completion, you will be issued with a UNSW Medicine & Health verifiable credential.
The credential is valid for 3 years and may be counted towards your continuing professional development (CPD). Please check with your college as the credential provides documentary evidence which may substantiate activities claimed under your college program.
Can I use my credit towards further study?
You can partake another short course with FMECH points to achieve a total 150 hours of learning. Once you have achieved a total of 15 points, reflecting 150 hours of learning, you can use the 15 points to apply for recognition of prior learning for 6 units of credits (UOC) towards a postgraduate program within UNSW Medicine & Health
It is essential to complete the assessment if you wish to apply to use the points towards credit for a UNSW postgraduate program in the future.
Price is inclusive of 30 hours of learning, digital badging, online credential learning resources, evidence-based research, practical tools and techniques, and course completion assessment.
Additional discount available for UNSW Medicine & Health Short Course partners! To collect your additional discount, please insert "Partnership Discount" in the email subject and send to the Short Course Team.