Full course description
25 September to 4 December 2023
(8 weeks block)
Use promo code
SC15OFF at check out
What are the course learning outcomes?
By the end of this course, you will be able to:
- Identify when to consider genetic and/or genomic testing to achieve the best healthcare outcomes.
- Interpret genetic/genomic test result reports.
- Integrate understanding of genetic and genomic concepts into best practice when communicating with peers and patients pre-and post-testing, including when obtaining informed consent for testing and discussing genetic/genomic test results.
- Develop evidence-based care plans that are patient and family-centred, appropriately involving patient support groups and interdisciplinary teams.
What core topics are offered?
The following topics are offered in the course for developing and increasing your knowledge, understanding and skills in practical medical genomics.
- Introduction to genomic medicine
- Models of genomic care
- Culturally safe genomic practice
- When to consider genomic testing
- Pre- and post-test genetic counselling
- Process of genomic testing
- Interpretation of results
- Moving from a genomic diagnosis to precision medicine
Who is this course suited to?
Health and science professionals who are interested in learning more about genomics. This applies to both people who are currently applying genomics in their practice, as well as those who are interested in applying genomics in the future. Participants may include paediatricians, medical specialists, registrars, other doctors-in-training, allied health professionals, nurses, researchers and laboratory scientists.
Online Synchronous Sessions (via Zoom)
- Welcome session: 25 September 2023 | 6:00 pm - 7:00 pm AEST
- The first synchronous session (Compulsory attendance): 21 October 2023 | 9:00 am - 4:30 pm AEDT
- The second synchronous session (Compulsory attendance): 4 November 2023 | 9:00 am - 1:00 pm AEDT
What are the course credentials?
This course is worth 3 UNSW Medicine & Health Executive Certificate in Health (FMECH) points, which provides formal recognition of professional development and reflects 40 hours of learning inclusive of pre-work, course participation, learning materials and support. Upon course completion, you will be issued with a UNSW Medicine & Health verifiable credential.
The credential is valid for 3 years and may be counted towards your continuing professional development (CPD). Please check with your college as the credential provides documentary evidence which may substantiate activities claimed under your college program.
Can I use my credit towards further study?
There is an additional assessment associated with this course. All participants will be issued with 3 FMECH points upon completion of the course and the compulsory formative assessment. It is essential to complete and submit the course assessment on or before the final day of the course if you wish to apply to use the points towards credit for a UNSW postgraduate program in the future.
You can partake another short course with FMECH points to achieve a total 150 hours of learning. Once you have achieved a total of 15 points, reflecting 150 hours of learning, you can use the 15 points to apply for recognition of prior learning for 6 units of credits (UOC) towards a postgraduate program within UNSW Medicine & Health.
Price is inclusive of 40 hours of learning, digital badging, online credential learning resources, evidence-based research, practical tools and techniques, support and course completion assessment.
Basic technology requirements
All our short courses are available in Canvas. To complete this short course, you will need access to a desktop computer, laptop or device with sufficient internet access and a web browser compatible with Canvas and Zoom.
^15% discount for UNSW Alumni and UNSW Network, Affiliates, Staff, Students, Adjuncts, and Partners.
Additional discounts available for UNSW Medicine & Health Short Course partners! To collect your additional discount, please insert "Partnership Discount" in the email subject and send to the Short Course Team.
Other short courses
You may also like to join these UNSW Medicine & Health short courses for attaining 6 UOC:
Also try this upcoming Change Management short course.
Thank you for considering UNSW Medicine & Health Short Courses. Reach us for further information about this short course. Or drop us a line if you would like to receive future short courses for early bird discounts.
We continuously improve our short courses to reflect the needs of our learners and their employers. If you are interested in connecting with us to explore bespoke programs for your organisation or team, please contact us.