Full course description
8 March - 5 April 2024
Online self-paced & learn with others
Use promo code
SC15OFF at check out
What are the course learning outcomes?
By the end of this course, you will be able to:
- Describe normal ocular surface anatomy and how it changes in dry eye disease.
- Identify the clinical signs of dry eye disease to detect and sub-type dry eye disease.
- Differentially diagnose dry eye disease from other conditions.
- Identify key risk factors for dry eye disease.
- Create a record-keeping system to enable a smooth work-flow for diagnosis and management.
- Develop communication skills necessary for management of patients with dry eye disease.
- Devise short and long-term management plans for dry eye disease.
- Formulate co-management of dry eye disease with other health professionals.
- List the factors for staying abreast with the changes in the field and critically appraise any introductions to the field of dry eye disease
What core topics are offered?
For lifelong learning, the following topics are offered in the course for developing and increasing your knowledge, understanding and skills in diagnosing and managing dry eye disease, and appraising new introductions to the field.
- The ocular surface and tear film
- Dry eye disease definition
- Dry eye disease sub-typing and differential diagnosis
- Epidemiology of dry eye disease
- Risk factors, including iatrogenic factors
- Diagnostic algorithms and clinical tools to aid with the process
- Management – both therapeutic and non-therapeutic
- Working with other health care professionals for the management of dry eye disease
- Interpreting the evidence: staying abreast of updates in the field, and critically appraising the evidence
- Communication skills for the dry eye clinician
Who is this course suited to?
Eye health care clinicians and clinician-scientists with an interest in diagnosing, managing or research dry eye disease. This course would also be of interest to individuals working in the dry eye industry.
Online Synchronous Sessions (via Zoom)
What are the course credentials?
This course is approved by OA for the Institute of Excellence (CPD) and worth 3 UNSW Medicine & Health Executive Certificate in Health (FMECH) points, which provides formal recognition of professional development and reflects 30 hours of learning inclusive of pre-work, course participation, learning materials and support. Upon course completion, you will be issued with a UNSW Medicine & Health verifiable credential.
The credential is valid for 3 years and can be counted towards your continuing professional development (CPD). Please check with Optometry Australia (OA) as the credential provides documentary evidence which can be claimed under your CPD program.
Can I use my credit towards further study?
There is an optional assessment associated with this course. All participants will be issued with 3 FMECH points upon completion of the course.
Price is inclusive of 30 hours of learning, digital badging, online credential learning resources, evidence-based research, practical tools and techniques, support and course completion assessment.
Basic technology requirements
All our short courses are available in Canvas. To complete this short course, you will need access to a desktop computer, laptop or device with sufficient internet access and a web browser compatible with Canvas and Zoom.
^15% discount for UNSW Alumni, UNSW Network, Affiliates, Staff, Students, Adjuncts, and Partners,
or anyone who refers a friend.
You may also like to join these UNSW Medicine & Health short courses for attaining 6 UOC:
- Evidence-Based Myopia Management
- Fundamentals of Clinicians Becoming Healthcare Leaders
- Project Management within Healthcare
- Other short courses
Also try this upcoming Applying Value-Based Healthcare within Australia short course.
Thank you for considering UNSW Medicine & Health Short Courses. Reach us for further information about this short course. Or drop us a line if you would like to receive future short courses for early bird discounts.
We continuously improve our short courses to reflect the needs of our learners and their employers. If you are interested in connecting with us to explore bespoke programs for your organisation or team, please contact us.